If you’ve had a serious spill, your first instinct may be to get in touch with a lawyer to recover your losses due to the injury. While it is important to document the area of your fall, it’s also incredibly important to see a doctor for your slip and fall injury.
You may feel initial pain now, but if you don’t have your injuries examined by a doctor, you could end up with long-term back and neck pain. All the money in the world from a successful lawsuit won’t be worth it if you can’t function properly because of your injury.
According to the National Floor Safety Institute, slip and fall injuries account for over 1 million hospital visits per year, and the Centers for Disease Control reports that falls cost $34 billion per year in patient care.
The types of injuries that you could sustain vary greatly, but include:
- Sprains: whether you’ve twisted a knee or ankle, sprains can vary in intensity and can require physical therapy to ensure that your muscles and ligaments heal properly.
- Shoulder injuries
- Fractures: More than 95% of hip fractures are caused by falls, but broken arms and legs are also just as serious. Your healing process isn’t over once the cast comes off — ensuring that you regain proper muscle strength and range of motion remains a concern as you recover.
- Back and spinal cord injuries: The strain on your spinal cord from a fall could cause a slipped or herniated disc resulting in mild to extreme pain. Chiropractic alignments can be your best bet to get your spine back to normal.
- Head injuries: Not always immediately noticeable after a slip and fall, a head injury could result in a concussion, or, worst-case scenario, end up causing severe damage include seizures and cognitive impairment.
- Neck pain: whether you suffer from whiplash or a dislocated shoulder, seeking a chiropractor for neck pain can ensure that you’re actively working to heal the surrounding muscles.
Why a doctor should be your first call:
- Your health is as important to us as it is to you, and we’re committed doctors, chiropractors, and rehabilitation experts who are determined to get you back on your feet.
- Your lawyers are going to ask for details regarding the injuries sustained — you need a documented assessment from a certified clinic that you can present to a judge.
- Slip and fall injuries aren’t always cut and dry — symptoms from your fall may not always be present immediately but could present themselves at a later date.
We want to make sure that your physical healing from a slip and fall injury begins immediately. Get in touch with our team to learn what we can do to get you back to normal.